Saturday, August 2, 2014

the other MBA


Through craggy cliffs, lido laden lungomares, marshy plains, industrialized islands, charming cittas, and fire threatened forests,
From trieste to sicilia,  to napoli and a bit beyond
I’ve skimmed the rim of italy, of cappuccinos and my right shoulder
I’ve savored sights, smells, sounds and tastes from north to south
I’ve passed through beautiful places and passed up even more
I’ve shivered from the cold and sweated from the heat
I’ve had the wind in my hair, sun on my face and pain on my ass
I’ve rushed downhill and from place to place
I’ve lost my way and a few bits and pieces
I’ve been whistled and tooted at, as a joke, a warning or encouragement
I’ve sworn under my breath, lost my breath and held my breath
I’ve called on lady luck and more often said fcuk
I’ve broken equipment and communicated in broken italian
I’ve gone to sleep to the sound of waves, trains, discos and storms
I’ve had flat tires, flat spirit, flat hair and been flattered.
I’ve been stared at, saluted at, smiled at and shouted out
I’ve been taken for a ride and ridden from dawn to dusk
I’ve thought too much and thought nothing at all
I’ve relished my solitude and been scared and saddened by it
I’ve trusted my gut instinct, used my head and followed my heart
I’ve decided on the toss of a coin and tossed the result
I’ve been threatened by hostility and humbled by hospitality
I’ve made new friends and experienced and learned more
I’ve been frustrated, exhausted and confused
But more exhilarated, delighted and amazed

All in all, a fantastic mba
My mini biking adventure





Poem:  © Penelope Mavor 2005


Image:  'E. T.' by Switzerland-based photographer Philipp Schmidli. As posted by Vivid Greeting Cards on Facebook 4 May 2013.  

No comments: