Saturday, August 2, 2014

Siddhartha’s journey



Admired and adored
Yet I felt a little bored
Joy failed to spring from my heart
I felt bounded and apart
Trapped like a caged bird
My soul, oh how it stirred
So I set off with my loyal friend
Not knowing where it would end
I leant towards the emptiness
In the hope of peace and bliss

Joining those of like kind
Going deep into the forest of one’s mind
Renouncing, denying and fasting
Querying, searching and quietening
And when the Master emerged
I recognised how his light surged
But no matter how brightly it shone
My quest urged me on
And so I left my shadow there
I had more learning to bear

A man ferried me from A to B
And I found myself in a pleasure sea
Of thorns and buds in a garden lush
The feelings of a lover’s rush
Skills in love and business traded
Memories of self denial faded
Feasting on luxury and lust
Before long the balance went bust
That which I craved, I now rejected
Bloated in power and pride detected         

Disorientated but able to rise
I now saw the man with fresh eyes
And the river, banks on either side
Energy, wisdom and nothing to hide
In the stillness, silence and serenity
Flowed what was, is and what will be
Knowing there was nothing to add or subtract
Everyone and everything circles back
Embracing truth in its fullness
Truly listening, I had found completeness

                                                  










Poem: © Penelope Mavor 2014

Inspired by Herman Hesse (2013) Siddhartha, Bridgeford Classics.

Image: Albrecht Durer (1471 –1528)"paesaggio con il fiume Peignitz" as posted by I 1000 quadri più belli di tutti i tempi on 13 December 2013.

No comments: